Timeshift – Dial ‘B’ for Britain is a really cool and fascinating insight into the history of the telephone.
First shown on BBC4 on 20th April 2017 this programme tells the history of the British telephone line over 100 years and the telephone on the High Street and in British households over this period. If you think the problems we have today getting a phone line installed are something new – think again, the infrastructure has always been expanding and demand always seems to exceed the supply. From being a plaything of the wealthy the telephone became a necessity of the 20th century and though mainly used for connectivity today it is still very much part of our lives.
The program takes us into the exchanges, talks to engineers, switchboard operators and experts and contains a fantastic array of vintage clips of the telephone in all its glory. Included in the program are a number of phones which we lent the BBC in making the program.
If you want to watch; it is still available on the BBC iplayer for a few days – Timeshift – Dial B for Britain
We are happy to be returning Edinburgh Fringe this year with Judy’s Vintage Fair.
Being held over the first weekend of the festival – 6th & 7th August – in the the uber cool ‘Out of the Blue & Drill Hall‘, the fair is a great way to start the festival with a bang. The Drill Hall in Dalmeny Street was built as a military drill hall in 1901 and between 2003 and 2010 was redeveloped to become the vibrant arts centre it is today. It also has a great cafe serving home-made fare using fair trade & organic produce.
Along with us there will be over 30 amazing stalls featuring vintage clothes, jewellery, homewares, furniture, lighting, record players and vinyl from 1920s to the 1980s! Should be a weekend packed with retro & vintage treasure.
The fair will be open 11am – 4pm, Saturday & Sunday. See our events page for all details on the fair.
Check out the Fringe site to book shows after you have finished all your essential retro shopping!
Sign Up & Win a Cream GPO Dial Telephone
All you have to do is sign up to receive our email newsletter and you’ll be automatically entered to win a Vintage 1970s Cream GPO Dial Telephone – fully restored, converted and ready to plug in!
This draw is open to all people who subscribe to the newsletter via the website or at any show we are attending from 11th June 2012 to 22nd July 2012. The winner will be selected at random on Monday 23rd July. See Terms & Conditions.
Remember to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news, events and stock on the site!
We include an unsubscribe link in every email we send you, so you can easily leave our list at any time.
Competition Terms & Conditions
- The competition is free to enter.
- No purchase is necessary to enter.
- The competition is open to the Retro Bazaar website visitors and visitors to events that Retro Bazaar are attending, who sign up to the Retro Bazaar Newsletter
- The name of the winner will be placed on the Retro Bazaar Website.
- Entry to the competition is restricted to one entry per person.
- Winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries.
- Winner will be notified via the email address provided within 7 days of the competition closing date. If the prize is not claimed within a period of 7 days after notification, we reserve the right to select an alternative winner and shall have no liability in respect of the entry initially selected.
- The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered in to.
- No cash alternative is available for any prize. In the unlikely event of a prize becoming unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value.